Sunday 14 September 2008

First Post, F1, and why suits shouldn't make decisions.

First of all, hello and welcome to my blog. If you are reading this then it means that not only do you have a grasp of English, but you also have far too much time on your hands.

In my early days, I used to watch F1 with a sense of awe, I remember the days when Michael Schumacher drove a Benneton, and how excited I was when he managed to win against the odds. But now fast forward to today...

The race last week, Hamilton cut the chicane, allowed Raikkonen through then retook him later on. I have been reading in messageboards, fan forums and all sorts, about the decision to penalise Hamilton with a 25 second penalty after the race was completed.
25 seconds! The decision for the time was the length of time it would take someone to do a drive through penalty, that being the normal way of resolving these things while on the track.
Maclaren asked the race director (Charlie Whiting) if Hamilton had done enough after cutting the corner, allowing Raikkonen through, and Charlie said in his opinion he had. The RACE DIRECTOR said that he had. But apparently Charlie knows nothing.

The race progressed Raikonnen crashed out anyway, and Hamilton went through to win. Whoopee I thought. Until the next day when I heard news that some bunch of idiots had penalised him for the manouver. Why couldn't they have said this at the time? The problem could have been fixed straight away! "Sorry Maclaren, Hamilton needs to let him through again or get a drive through"

But they decided to hold the decision till after the race, the people who made the decision were not even present at the race, and apparently have no grasp for the mentality behind the drivers.

I admit my first reaction to the 'incident' was to say "Give him room Hamilton!" so in my mind he did deserve a penalty. But for Maclaren to not be able to check this at the time beggers belief. Here is my solution, get the suits down at the track, let them make a decision straight away, and once the winner crosses the line, that's it. Race over.
If the people making the decisions are not at the track then quite frankly any decision made by them after the race is bunk.

Thank you for reading!

No comments: